President's Newsletter- Members Forum 7 April 2018
Dear All Members,
On behalf of the Committee, you are invited to attend an important planning forum on 7 April, commencing at 6 pm at the Mordialloc Sailing Club. The purpose of this forum is to enable interested members to:
- Deepen understanding of the Club’s new grading and training model
- Identify issues requiring attention during implementation
- Help to develop preferred ways to deal with potential issues
As outlined in my February President’s email, in essence, the Club has decided to effectively align our grading structure with the one developed by Canoeing Australia, and used by most major sea kayak Clubs in Australia. This means that we will be progressively implementing new grades between now and the end of 2019 as follows:
- Sea Kayak Basics (a VSKC defined grade that will replace Grade 0)
- Introduction to Sea Skills (an AC defined grade that replaces Grade 1)
- Sea Skills (an AC defined grade that replaces Grade 2)
- Sea Leader (an AC defined grade, tuned to VSKC refinements as required that will replace Grade 3. This will be our new Trip Leader level)
- Sea Instructor (an AC defined grade)
I am pleased to advise that we have had solid nominations for a Sea Instructor and Sea Leader intake that will commence in 2018. Planning is well in hand for this, which will strengthen the Club’s ability to host a healthy trips calendar and accredit training under the new gradings. Refer to the President’s Email in February for further details.
The Committee is very keen that members continue to be able to input to shaping the implementation of our new grading model, and the April forum will be structured as follows:
- Free welcome barbecue and drinks (BYO or bar) from 6.00 pm
- Overview of progress so far from 7.00 pm
- General Q&A session from 7.30 pm
- Small group discussions from 8.00 pm to work through nominated issues and to develop actions to guide implementation
- Report back from small group discussions from 9.00 pm
- Forum concludes at 10.00 pm
There are no costs involved, apart from your own drinks. Registration to enable planning for catering, etc is via Trybooking (click here to register). Registrations close on 6 April, 2018.
I really look forward to seeing as many members as possible at the forum and hearing your suggestions as to how we can best implement our new grading model. If you are coming to the forum, I ask that you access the earlier discussion papers released in 2017 to re-familiarise yourself with the myriad of issues associated with this important change.
Very best regards,