The Victorian Sea Kayak Club Inc (VSKC) was formed in 1979, aimed at bringing together sea kayakers in our part of the world, creating opportunities to meet and organise trips, and to promote the interests of sea kayakers.
VSKC’s Mission is to cultivate sea kayaking as an enjoyable adventure - inclusive, safe and sustainable. Our purpose is:
- To provide a forum for Club members to pursue sea kayaking responsibly by facilitating sea kayaking related activities,
- To develop the skills, standards and competencies of its members,
- To advance, promote and enhance standards for the selection and use of sea kayaks and equipment.
We welcome new members and encourage a culture in which members help each other with skills, gear, safety, trip information and organisation.
VSKC understands that you vaue your privacy and wish to have your personal information kept secure. For these reasons, VSKC places a high priority on the security of information we hold. We have developed this policy to inform you of how we manage your personal information and maintain its integrity and security.
We are bound by the Privacy Act 1988 and must comply with the National Privacy
Principles. You can find more information about the Privacy Act and the National Privacy Principles on the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner website at www.oaic.gov.au.
While we believe in keeping your personal information highly secure, we also believe that you have the right to be informed about how we deal with that information. If on reading this policy you are unclear on any of the matters or simply want more information, please contact us on the details provided below.
Collecting Personal Information
We aim to collect personal information only if it is relevant and necessary to providing the Services to members of VSKC.
In general you can assume that we collect and hold the following information:
- Email address
- Telephone and fax number
- Relevant Club membership
- Paddling Competency Level
In most cases we will collect this information from you directly however in some cases we may obtain information from other sources.
Naturally we collect and hold a broad range of personal information gathered during the course of providing our Services. However as stated above, we strive to ensure that we collect and hold only that personal information which is relevant and necessary to your specific matters.
Your details are on the “Maintain my Details” section of the VSKC website for you to update as necessary. Of particular note is that there is a “Keep my Details Private” option if you wish to activate this facility.
Purposes of Collection
We collect information primarily to provide kayaking and other associated products and services.
We may also use the information:
- to send newsletters to you;
- to invite you to seminars or events;
- to inform you of products that can be purchased from VSKC;
- to inform you of developments at VSKC and other services that we can provide.
- to respond to you on enquiries
- to conduct the administrative affairs of the Club
The following third parties may have access to personal information:
- IT technicians may have access when providing support although it is our practice for them to work under supervision and after having signed a Confidentiality Agreement;
- File storage services.
- Mail-house suppliers
- Trip leaders to provide you Services
We will not otherwise disclose information about you unless the disclosure:
- is required by law;
- is authorised by law; or
- you have consented to our disclosing the information about you.
Quality of Personal Information
We aim to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up to date. To assist us in this, you need to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as requested and properly update the information to us to keep it true, accurate, current and complete.
If you believe that the information is inaccurate or incomplete, please contact us and we will use all reasonable effort to correct the information.
Securing Your Personal Information
We are committed to maintaining the security and confidentiality of the data you provide us and we will take all reasonable precautions to protect your personal information from unauthorised disclosure, use or alteration.
We have the following security measures in place to protect your information:
- all computers have password and virus protection;
- our website is protected by all reasonable means;
- our committee members all have certain legal duties. These duties are based upon, and are broadly equivalent to, the duties of a director, as set out in the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). In particular our Committee members must:
- carry out their duties with care and diligence
- carry out their duties in good faith in the best interests of the club, and for a proper purpose
- not use information acquired through their position for personal advantage, the advantage of others, or to the detriment of the club.
Accessing Your Personal Information
You have a limited right to access all personal information that we hold about you. In limited circumstances, we may refuse your request to access, in which case, we will give you a reason for that refusal.
We are not required to provide access where:
- denying access is required or authorised by law; or
- providing access would be unlawful.
Changes to this Policy
Post: Victorian Sea Kayak Club Inc
PO Box 161
BLACK ROCK 3193