The following are the minimum equipment standards for participation on a VSKC paddle. If paddlers do not meet these requirements the Trip Leader is within their rights to refuse participation in the trip.
Members must have a recognised Sea Kayak set up properly to VSKC standards:-
- Minimum volume cockpit,
- Watertight bulkheads and hatch covers, including positive buoyancy.
- Deck lines 6mm minimum and toggles or loops at both ends.
- Spray skirt that fits cockpit and paddler with release strap.
- Paddle & paddle leash.
- Rudder or skeg, if fitted to be fully retractable and in proper working order.
- Present with the appropriate clothing including thermals, wet suit bootees, cag, hat, sunglasses to suit the seasonal conditions
- Cotton clothing is not permitted on any club paddle
- Have approved and suitable PFD (type 1 or 2), with whistle.
- Have accessable at sea drinks and snacks as appropriate
Level 2 requirements also include-
- Towing points and 15m tow rope with float and quick release fittings.
- Hands free pump, either electric or foot operation, also sponge and or bailer.
- Communication equipment in water proof case (eg Mobile phone)
- Spare paddle (recommended).
Level 3 also includes-
- Proper fit out, including foot, thigh and hip bracing.
- Mobile phone or marine radio in dry bag, charts, rescue authority/emergency phone numbers as appropriate.
- Spare paddle
- First Aid kit (full kit when acting as trip leader)
- Repair kit
The VSKC recommends the use of a paddle helmet in surf and rock environments